By Wanda Parker
I visited a different KidTrek Associate Center yesterday.
I’m still fighting back the tears from yesterday. My heart is so heavy. I want so bad to communicate to you the great need that is just within miles of where you live. In Matthew 18 Jesus warns us about how we will be judged if we don’t care for the children. Where is the Church? Why isn’t the church more proactive?
I sat eating snack with a group of 5th and 6th graders when the Secondary Nurturer asked, “How was your Thanksgiving?”
“Horrible!” was the simple reply of one child.
“Horrible? Why was it so horrible?”
“My aunt got in a big fight with another woman over a man. They were hitting and pulling hair. It was horrible. I just wanted to get out of there.”
You had to hear her voice to get the total impact of this child’s pain.
A macho 6th grade boy dressed in his low riding pants commented, “Roy, I’m going to visit my dad in Georgia. I wish I could live with my dad, but then if I lived with my dad I couldn’t come to the center. I don’t want to leave the center.”
I had to fight back the tears. I felt the pain of these kids.
Then there was another kid who sat across from me who never spoke – a 6th grader also. My heart kept being tugged towards him. I learned that the school is at the point of just passing him forward because they don’t know what else to do with him. His parents don’t have the sophistication to know how to get him more help. He has some type of brain damage but no one knows what it is nor how to help him. The Secondary Nurturer is doing research and is fighting for him in the school district and beyond. (The tears are coming as I write – what if this was my child? What if this was your child? You’d probably have the sophistication to fight for him, the education to know places to go, a support system to fight for him.)
These kids are the lucky ones – they have a Secondary Nurturer who is walking through life with them. Someone to fight for them. But what about all the kids who have NO ONE!
Are you a follower of Jesus Christ? What are you doing about the Invisible Children of America?
I truly believe the Lord is going to ask you one day what you did.
These kids don’t need “drive-by evangelism.” They don’t need a drop-in after school center. They don’t need only a tutoring center. They don’t need a once a week Bible Club.
This is what they need:
- Long term quality relationship with a godly adult.
- An adult with the education and sophistication to fight for their real needs (as opposed to felt needs).
- An adult willing to get emotionally involved in their lives (Secondary Nurturers shed many a tear in the fight for these kids.)
- An adult committed to becoming a friend of the kids parents/primary nurturers.
- An adult committed to building a relationship with every Social Service Professional involved in the family’s life.
- An adult willing to work alongside of the child’s school teacher to make sure s/he is receiving the best education possible and is following through on all assignements – just like you would do for your own child.
- An adult willing to spend so much time in prayer for the child that s/he is giving up things s/he wants to do for her/himself because s/he is pouring into the life of the child.
- An adult who is fully committed to Jesus Christ.
Several years ago I was speaking at a conference of Inner City Workers in Philadelphia when a huge burden came over me. I awoke in the middle of the night and I couldn’t get back to sleep. I got up and took out my Bible and began reading, crying and calling out to God. I wrote the following in my Bible that night, “Raise up an army of servants to work with the children in the cities.”
That was impossible! Or is it? If you are a follower of Jesus Christ also, do we not serve the God of the impossible?
Now our Heavenly Father has given KidTrek the vision of putting missionaries into churches across America. You may not be able to be a missionary but you can:
- pray that the Lord will raise up the missionaries and provide for their support,
- give to support the missionaries,
- volunteer a couple of hours a week,
- spread the word – tell friends, family, everyone of the potential if we reach the children.
Where is the church? Together, you and I can make a difference in the lives of thousands of children across America. Will you join KidTrek in this “impossible” task?
Yes, for those of you who know me best, I’m still fighting the tears and emotions as the passion to reach the children overwhelms me. I know it is a passion the Holy Spirit has placed within me. May the Lord bless you as you ponder what the Lord’s will is for you to do in this battle to reach the Invisible Children of America. No Child should be Left Behind because we were too caught up with the business of our own lives.